Thursday, January 22, 2015

Dressing for winter in the classroom

I'm a naturally cold person. In summer, even Texas summer, anytime I'm in air conditioning for more than 10 minutes I get cold. Usually I keep a cardigan or a jacket in my car to take in with me on longer grocery shopping trips (I abandon E when we need to go retrieve milk or frozen veggies) or to restaurants. Unfortunately, that means that I look somewhat ridiculous - everyone in their sleeveless dresses and shorts and I'm huddled in a corner with a scarf and a jacket trying to cover my legs.
So you can imagine what winter is like for me. I can't step outside for a few minutes to warm up- I have to keep my warmth against the wind and the rain and the a/c all by myself. My lead teacher loves a cool classroom so I'm perpetually cold at work. It's not uncommon to see me in a long sleeved shirt and a cardigan  and maybe a scarf and her to be in short sleeves and a skirt! I marvel at her natural warmth. Last year I was cold every day, but this year I'm trying a new strategy. If you have a cold classroom and don't want to be burdened with binding blazers, cumbersome cardigans, or sloppy scarves, you can try my tips below.


1. Layer an additional long sleeved shirt under your sweater or even a button up. Considering I wear a button up almost every day, I had to think of more ways to layer other than a sweater over them. This also allows you to look as if you're at a comfortable temperature rather than wrapped in a scarf or jacket that screams give me a blanket. If you get a cozy, long-sleeved cotton shirt to layer with, make sure it has a deep enough neckline so it won't be visible if you top layer moves during the day.

2. Wear a button up or turtleneck under whatever you're wearing. Somehow both of these styles are now ok to wear- thank you to whoever made that happen because now I look like less of a loon when I wear something like this. For inspiration, check out Anh at 9to5chic. She is my layering guru.

3. Cardigans. They are the answer for almost every teacher prob when it comes to style- they add visual interest to your outfit, can cover stains if your student bumps your mug or you drip something on your shirt in the 5 minutes you have for lunch, and are a great way to add warmth without committing to the awkward trying-to-take-off-my-sweater-without-flashing-my-students tango. I wear a cardigan everyday in late spring and early fall (aka extended summer) because Texas, but I usually opt for something heavier in the winter because I don't take off my layers during the school day. I also move around the classroom so much that it's impractical most days to wear something that will flap around. Imagine a grown woman dancing the hokey-pokey with her pre-k kids with a giant cardigan making her look like a bat. Not cute. Add a big scarf to that and it's hilarious.

4. Leggings under your slacks. You might roll your eyes at this- why would a Texas teacher need this level of layering. I'll tell you- I find anything under 40° unbearably cold. So you better believe that those 4 days a year that are below 40° I have all the layers ever. All. Of. Them. The trick to this one is that you have to have tight enough leggings that they won't bunch up at your knees and they also have to be long enough to pull down at your ankles if they do get bunchy. Pro tip: if you want to confuse your better half, ask them to hold onto your leggings at your ankles while you pull on your other pants.  Their expression will be hilarious.

5. For the love of your ankles, feet, and toes- wear appropriate shoes. Last night after one of my education classes I saw far too many of my classmates darting through the freezing rain in flats. Guys. If its cold and rainy, please wear boots. Ankle boots, riding boots, rain boots- there are so many options that will leave your feet warm, dry, and not the least frost-bitten. Do not leave your house in flats when its 30° or raining. . This is not a tip- its a demand. When we come to our classroom with dripping wet feet we are not modeling good choices for our kids.

I hope that if you, too, find yourself rubbing your hands together and wishing you could teach in a puffy coat these ideas will help!

0 comments :

Post a Comment

© my teacher style 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law